Sunday, September 17, 2017

Art Journal Inspirations

I have continued to be really inspired lately and am taking it out in my journals!

I have a Strathmore Mixed Media Journal that I keep with me all the time and it is what I often make notes in for future ideas (classes and pages), paint samples & experiments as well as pen sketches like below.

Everyone knows how much I love botanical images.  There are a ton of downloadable images on the net which always get my creative pen flowing.  I had picked up a painting book at our local library and it got me in the mood to sketch.  The book was on painting flowers which I just don't think I am there yet, so ended up doing some sketches...love how they turned out!  All I used was my Pilot Multiball Fine point.





This next one was originally inspired by layers of vintage papers I had seen on Instagram.  I have such a huge stash of papers (scrapbooking and others) that I thought I would pull out some of my favorite Jenni Bowlin Studio collections and cut them up randomly to see what I could get.



While my page was drying, I was surfing Instagram and came across a post from France Papillon and it totally made me go in a different direction.  Here is the image I was inspired by:

There is a full tutorial on this on her YouTube channel, I followed fairly close.  I simply used what I had and pulled nothing from the shelves.

So off I go on a tangent!  Scraped and plastered Liquitex Flexible Modeling Paste onto the pages being sure to get a good rough finish and a good build up on the edges of the papers.




I then added a good layer of Prima Heavy Gesso (it was what I could find easily on my desk top, but my fave is the Liquitex Super Heavy Gesso) and the addition of DecoArt Media's White Crackle Paint.


Again, getting into the grooves and really using my palette knife with the gesso.  When I added the Crackle Paint -it is important NOT to over work it as you will then limit the amount of  crackles you will get once dried.  Another tip is to allow to dry naturally for the best crackle effects.


I allowed this to dry over night and in the morning, I applied a glaze using Golden Acrylic Glazing Liquid and Payne's Grey (twice).


...and then a glaze of Titan Buff, really working the glaze into the cracks.


I applied this glaze twice and then the third time...I omitted the Glazing liquid and used straight up paint!  I preferred this effect to get the darker impact.  Here are a couple of close ups. 



Now it was time for color!  I started off with DecoArt Cadmium Orange Hue, dry brushing it into the areas I felt it worked best for composition.


I would go in again with my fingers really rubbing in some more to get it darker where needed.


I would blot with a rag or Deli Paper at times as I wanted to pull back some of the color. 


Again, really worked in the paint into the cracks.


I added DecoArt Media Quinacridone Red and Medium Gray where I wanted colors to either pop or be subdued.


I was really liking how it came about and was going to leave it as is.  Then I went and watched her tutorial to then end and thought otherwise.


It needed something - a photo! Well in this case, a picture on some paper (Jenni Bowlin Studio Red/Black Line Extension  III). The addition of the words are from Tim Holtz Small Talk Sticker Book.


Just look at the texture I was able to achieve here!  I am including a few drool worthy images to show off how amazing the textures are.





I decide after looking at the photos on my phone, that I need some shading.  I take one of my black markers (I believe it was my Sakura Sensei) and as soon as I lay down the line of ink, I rub my finger along the mark to buff it out.


You can really see it here on the left hand side, love it!


I think that is good for today, I've (hopefully) kept you here long enough!  I will work on a few more posts over the next couple of days to share more of what I have been doing.  Don't forget to keep an eye on my Instagram and Facebook accounts (and I'd love it if you would follow along) as I tend to post there more often (just not as much detail)!

Most products are linked to my online store W2 Scrapbooking & Mixed Media Art Studio and if I don't carry it, I will usually link to where you can find it.

until next time...

No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...