Friday, February 5, 2016

Weekend Junket #03



Please take this for what it is - simply some inspiration to get you creating!  There are no hidden agendas or objectives, no I have to or else, just some simple prompts to hopefully inspire you to create!

Remember, how you choose to interpret the prompts is totally up to you! You can apply them to an Art Journal, Mixed Media project, Scrapbook Layout(s), ATC's or even Cardmaking, you choose!  Perception is how YOU see things, not me (or anyone else for that matter).  There is NO right or wrong way to take these prompts.

If you choose to partake in the 'prize' part of this challenge, I do have a couple requests/rules.  I need to be able to find them.  So you will be asked to either link it to this post via the links button at the bottom of this post on the blog or put it on the W2 Scrapbooking Facebook page under the coordinating post.  If you choose to post on Instagram, please use the hastag (#) #w2wj_ _ along with the week number.  For example, this week will be#w2wj03

At the end of each month I will randomly draw with all the participants post(s) and they will be awarded a store credit to W2 Scrapbooking! Please note that prizes are only available to participants in Canada and the Continental USA (where the shop currently ships).

Here we go...February's set of prompts:

FEBRUARY 

Colors that Inspire...FAMILY


What color do you think of when you think of family?  Use that as yet another inspiration for you for your project(s) this time around.

#w2wj03

technique - doodling
texture - distress
curveball - incorporate something 'old school'

At times I may find it interesting to put a twist on the prompts is to use the term....

Use something NEW, something OLD something BORROWED and something BOLD!

Now understand that I may not use the above on every challenge, but  I sure am gonna try!  

Here is my first take on the challenge prompts:

So I took 'old school' kind of literal this time around - I pulled out my OLD Tim Holtz Distress Paints and used the dabber tops to apply the paint to my journal.  You can see in the background the colors of  choice.  The one Ranger Adirondak one on the left was so old it was dried up and even adding water was a chore.  I made it work for this page, but it did find it's way to the garbage bin.  May it rest in peace (or should I say pieces), it was one of my favorite colors and was a constant go to 'back in the day!'


Added more color and then blended with baby wipes. 


Now here is yet more 'old school' - Tim Holtz Grunge Board (letters)!  Honestly, I have a stack of grunge board letters, numbers and shapes that would probably put Tim Holtz to shame!


After painting them with the Espresso Paint, I thought it time to add another prompt - distress!  I chose to use my Prima Comfort Craft Distressing Tool.  I sanded, scraped, scratched and rubbed the heck out of that grunge board.


Stuck them down using Glossy Accents.


Now, as you know, I have been on a bit of a Dorland's Wax kick lately (more on it's way to the shop), so used it along with my next Distress Paint - Fired Brick.  I again forced myself to use the dabber tops (which I never use)!


Here is a picture showing how once you use the heat tool to dry the paint, it in turn heats up the wax and voila...you can see where it is going to come off.  


But of course, I tend to want more off than just that, so I rub extra hard with the baby wipes and take it all back!  You will note there are other colors here as well, that is because I totally forgot to take pictures along the way!



Not being happy at all at this point - I once again pulled out my Prima Distress Tool and really went at the pages. Nothing was safe!


Time to incorporate the next prompt - doodling! I chose at first to use one of my Stencil Girl Products Rae Missigman stencils (Clustered Triangles, M069).  I used my Black Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen to trace around the stencil and make it work into my design. 


Did a bit more doodling and then incorporated one of Rae Missigman's Boxy Bloom Stamps.  Where I needed to fill it in, I simply used my Pitt Pen again and copied the stamp image (dashes and tiny circle/bubbles). 


Thinking I probably should have called it done at this point, but you know me by now....

Added a glaze of Tim Holtz Distress Paint Peeled Paint, let it sit for about 90 seconds and then proceeded to wipe it off with a baby wipe. 



Here are a couple shots showing both sides after they were cleaned off and a better view of the stamped images and doodling.



Ya, you're right - couldn't leave it at that!  Honestly, the pictures make it look way better than it was.

So taking a yet again 'old school' trick and added masking tape to the page to create a mask.  Originally I trying to include squares or circles - but just couldn't get them to work out right in my head. So tape it was.  


EEEEK!! What have I done?!


Taking off all the tape now and this is what I have - UCK!!



aside from the seepage (due to way too much paint), I totally destroyed my page! 


After wiping the best I could with a baby wipe - thought what could it hurt by distressing it even more?! I pulled out the Prima Distressing Tool once again and took off the end and really went to town on the page with the scrapping tool end - now I was getting somewhere (better)!







I tried to add a bit of brightness to the page by adding DecoArt Fluid Acrylic Titan Buff dots along the edge of the page.  Not sure it really helped, but at least now I could walk away from the page and call it (somewhat) done (for now)!! 



Thanks for sticking with me through this loooong post - hope you  enjoy this month's first set of prompts.  I look forward to seeing your ideas come to life as well.  Don't forget to either link them here or post on my Facebook Page under the  #03 prompt post.

Next set of prompts come out February 19.

Linked Submissions:


No comments:

That Other Neutral Triptych

  That Other Neutral Triptych wrapped canvases 10x10x1.5" (x3) professional grade artist materials I worked on this smaller series at ...